EXECUTIVE SECRETARIAL STUDIES
A secretary or some time called personal assistant is a person who is in charge of records, supporting management, responsible of organizing official event or meeting and taking minutes of them and related affairs of any company, association or organization with a variety of skills in project management, communication.
The HND curriculum in Secretarial Studies is aimed at developing :
- the ability to carry out efficiently secretarial activities in an organisation;
- a sound knowledge of the firm and its economic and legal environment;
- the ability to use office equipment for data processing and communication.
Admission to this specialty is done on file study. Admission requires the following documents:
- Photocopy of birth certificate
- Photocopy of GCE A/L or any other equivalent certificate
- 2 passport sized photos
- Application form (available in school) or download it here Application File
- Be a holder of GCE A’LEVELS IN Sciences or BAC C,D,E,F
See one of our orientation experts at school for more information.
NB : Admission into this speciality is also possible through a contest exam. If you are amongst the best at the end of the contest, you can benefit from a wide range of gifts the school offers. Learn More
- What is the meaning of being a secretary?
- One who has been employed to handle the requires of any organization e.g keep files
- One who can keep records, minutes of any event or meeting
- One who can preside over an administrative department
2. How do you become a secretary?
- Take up the course in any institution like (IME)
- Internship on the field for experience
- Further in a bachelor’s degree
- Professional internship for great acquisition of skills
- Find a secretary position job
- Advance in the field
3. What skills are needed to best prepare as a secretary?
- Good communication skills both written and verbal
- Accuracy and good attention to detail
- An ability to stay calm and handle pressure
- Good in time management
- Good organizational skills
4. Which certificate is required to be a secretary?
After any high school degree one does not need any special certificate to get in to the field, all you need is to get to best institute and get the best training like (IME). After which you can be allow the freedom to express in the field what you have acquired.
5. Structure of the program
- Business Communication (common);
- Business Law (common);
- Civics and Moral Education;
- Computer Application;
- English (common);
- Introduction to Mathematics and Statistics (common);
- Means of Communication;
What are the duties or responsibilities of a secretary?
- Organizing, producing agendas and taking minutes
- Managing databases
- Prioritizing workload
- Taking calls, messages and handling correspondence
- Maintaining diaries and arranging appointments
- Typing, preparing and collecting reports
What is the job of a secretary?
- Perform routine administrative functions
- Scheduling appointments
- Organizing and maintaining paper work or electronic file
- Providing information to callers